Teaching Comparative Government and Politics

Saturday, February 02, 2008

A rumination and a factoid

I was reading this morning about blogs being the vehicles for rapidly and widely spreading falsehoods and slanders -- especially in politics.

When I write things for publication, there is an editor who reads what I write and evaluates my spelling, grammar, logic, and judgments. Not so here.

This is more like jotting notes to friends. Or maybe it's like software companies that sell software and expect early adopters to check for bugs that will be corrected quickly with versions 1.01 through 1.11.

That means you are my editors. If I neglect something or get something wrong or say something stupid (mildly or extravagantly), I need you to correct me.

In the past couple weeks, I've fielded questions that come directly from classrooms and teachers' efforts to teach.

Please, ask more

And, if you have thoughts to add, use the comment link at the bottom of every entry.


Meanwhile, here's another tidbit of background information for teaching about Russia. A discussion of this could illustrate important things about that country.

The New York Times published an Agence France-Presse report today that is good news for Russians. Do your students know why?

Russia: Best Birthrate Since 1991

"Russia’s birthrate for 2007 was highest since 1991, the government said. It recently put into place a series of measures intended to reverse its shrinking birthrate, including a payment of $11,000 to women after a second child."

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home