Teaching Comparative Government and Politics

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Cautionary tale

Dan Harris from China Law Blog added the following to the previous post, but it's sort of hidden as a comment and really must be up front and loud.

He wrote, "Please be sure to check out the comments by Joseph Wang to my post. He thinks the NY Times translation was sufficiently off the mark as to make what the article says all wrong and I worry he is right. I am going to be having my firm's Shanghai lawyer review the speech in Chinese and tell me what he thinks and then re-posting."

Joseph Wang wrote, in part, "The impression I got in reading the entire speech is vastly different than the one that the New York Times portrays... when you look at the quote on "foreign forces"... Luo Gan is saying something vastly different. Essentially he is criticizing the party for not paying enough attention to legal work thereby allowing foreign forces to highlight failures in the Chinese legal system."

I'll keep an eye out for Dan Harris' comments on a new translation of the speech and let you know about them.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home